Cherry trifle with lemon
Serve this dish and you will be the star of the evening. It might seem difficult but it is actually really easy to make. Your guests will be amazed and impressed!
You need the following to make the cherry trifle with lemon:
- 400 ml cream
- lemon curd
- poached cherries
- yellow cake
- 6 fresh cherries for garnish
You need the following to make the poached cherries:
- 1 kg cherries, pitted and stems removed
- 50 gr sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- grated zest of 1 lemon
You need the following for the lemon curd:
- 3 large egg yolks
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 60 ml lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoont unsalted boter cut into pieces
How to make: a cherry trifle with lemon
- First you prepare the lemon curd. Combine the yolks, zest, lemon juice, and sugar in a small pan. Whisk firmly and set over medium heat while constantly stirring with a wooden spoon. Let it cook for about 5 to 7 minutes until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of your wooden spoon.Remove the pan from the fire. Then you add butter, one piece at a time. Keep on stirring the mixture with the wooden spoon until the sauce is smooth. Poor the mixture in a bowl and cover it immediately. Let it cool in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Second, you prepare the poached cherries. Put the cherries, sugar, lemon juice, and zest in a pan over medium heat. Stir every now and then until the cherries are soft, for about 15 minutes. Remove the cherries from the pan and transfer them to a bowl. Continue cooking the rest of the sauce for about 3 minutes. The sauce should get slightly thickened. Poor the sauce over the cherries and let it cool.
- Now comes the fun part: fill small glasses with the cherry trifle with lemon. Beat the cream until it forms soft peaks in your bowl. Take 6 glasses and fill them layer per layer. First the lemon curd, then the cherries, the yellow cake and you finish off with the whipped cream. Cover the glasses with plastic wrap and put them in the fridge. When you are ready to serve, garnish each glass with a fresh cherry. Bon appetit!